About East Bernard EMS
In 1980, a group of dedicated East Bernard citizens formed East Bernard EMS (EBEMS) as an all volunteer First Responder Agency. In July of 1981 we proudly made the transition from a first-responder organization to fully functioning EMS agency. Originally, EBEMS started service out of the East Bernard Volunteer Fire Department. In 2000, our station/offices moved to 103 Main St. in East Bernard. On January 1, 2010, East Bernard EMS transitioned from a volunteer EMS agency to a paid part-time department. Primary staffing at EBEMS is a Paramedic and Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced or Basic). Medical Direction is provided by Dr. L. Penick, and the EMS Director is Walter Morrow.
Our coverage area is the 125 square miles area of northern area of Wharton County, with an estimated population of around 3,200. Our service area includes the city of East Bernard, the communities of Lissie, Chesterville, and a small portion of Fort Bend County.
EBEMS currently has two ambulances licensed at BLS with MICU capability level:
Unit 1320 is a 2016 Ford Osage Type 3 ambulance
Unit 1321 is a 2011 Dodge Frazier Type 1 ambulance
EBEMS provides emergency 911 services as well as a very small scheduled transfers. EBEMS is funded by tax money from Wharton County Emergency Services District #2, private donations and direct billing.